2010/2/23 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <ste...@kaltenbrunner.cc>:
> While playing with SR/HS in a more complex datacenter environment I
> immediatly hit the need to being able to specify the ipaddress(or interface)
> that the backend(or libpq) uses to connect to the master.
>
> There are a few reasons for being able to do so like:
>
> * we are now suddenly in a situation where the backend can create outbound
> connections on it's own so people will have to add firewall rules and being
> able to guarantee the source IP will help maintainance (otherwise stuff might
> break if you say add an alias IP on an interface)
> * prioritising - if you know that replication traffic is on a given IP you
> can actually do fancy stuff like routing it over a different gigE line or
> giving it prority on a WAN connection
> * some of those also apply to other libpq clients but those are usually not
> in that complex network/system environments as servers are
>

> comment?

Seems like this could be very useful functionality, provided it can be
done in a reasonably portable way. As long as it's a libpq connection
parameter, it'll benefit everybody else as well as the replication
stuff at no extra cost.

It's not a very broad use-case, but in that use-case I can see how it
would be very useful.

Now, are you up for actually writing it? ;)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/