Bruce Momjian wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> writes:
Robert Haas wrote:
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<ste...@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
per http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy 7.4 is
still supported for a few months to come (and will be EOL'd together with
8.0). I'm also not really sure why we need to change stuff like that, this
kind of information might still be useful for somebody trying to upgrade
from an unsupported release to a supported one.
Yeah.
Well, the documentation still exists in the old releases, even 8.4.  The
big question is how much back-version information we should keep in our
docs, and does it make sense to keep paragraphs around that are only
meaningful to < 1% of people reading it.  Some people are saying keep
more, some are saying keep less, so I am betting I have hit the proper
balance.  ;-)
I didn't really agree with what you took out before, and I am definitely
going to object to this latest set of diffs.  What it appears to me
you have done is a search-and-destroy on any paragraph mentioning "7.x",
without any consideration of whether that removes important information
from the overall presentation.  Those paras are generally comparing old
and new behavior, and even if you don't care specifically what the old
behavior was, they present useful explanation of the new behavior.

Yea, let me try again and rephrase some of it to highlight the behavior
and not the version change.

Well the behaviour changed with a given version which is crucial information for somebody doing a migration... It is also useful historical information for people reading the manual - it is not impossible that this could effect on the application design...

I also agree with the objection that there are still lots of people who
are going to be trying to port old apps to 9.0.

Well, I stand by my statement that it is a judgement call on how much we
keep, and there is a cost to readers to keep it, but there isn't very
much of it.  Are the people who wanted more aggressive removal OK with
putting back the pre-7.4 documentation mentions?

Who actually are those people? I don't recall anybody complaining that we have too much information in our docs (maybe that they wnat better search or a better structure).

Stefan