Mark Mielke wrote:
On 02/26/2010 03:11 PM, Yeb Havinga wrote:
Or instead of letting users give the distribution, gather it automatically in some plan statistics catalog? I suspect in most applications queries stay the same for months and maybe years, so after some number of iterations it is possible to have decent call statistics / parameter distributions. Maybe the the parameter value distribution could even be annotated with actual cached plans.

The problem with the last - actual cached plans - is that it implies the other aspect I have been suggesting: In order to have a custom cached plan, the primary model must be to use custom plans. If PREPARE/EXECUTE uses generic plans normally, than the only cached plans available will be generic plans.
I should have been clearer, with 'actual cached plans' I meant 'cached plans planned with actual parameters' or 'cached custom plans'. It makes no sense to annotate points or intervals in a gathered value distribution with generic plans.

regards,
Yeb Havinga