Greg Stark wrote:
But if they move from having a plain old PITR warm standby to having
one they can run queries on they might well assume that the big
advantage of having the standby to play with is precisely that they
can do things there that they have never been able to do on the master
previously without causing damage.

Just not having the actual query running on the master is such a reduction in damage that I think it's delivering the essence of what people are looking for regardless. That it might be possible in some cases to additionally avoid the overhead that comes along with any long-running query is a nice bonus, and it's great the design allows for that possibility. But if that's only possible with risk, heavy tweaking, and possibly some hacks, I'm not sure that's making the right trade-offs for everyone.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us