Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On tis, 2010-03-30 at 08:39 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
on fast systems pg_dump is completely CPU bottlenecked

Might be useful to profile why that is.  I don't think pg_dump has
historically been developed with CPU efficiency in mind.

It's not pg_dump that is the problem - it is COPY that is the limit. In my specific case als the fact that a lot of the columns are bytea adds to the horrible CPU overhead (fixed in 9.0). Still our bulk load & unload performance is still way slower on a per core comparision than a lot of other databases :(

Stefan