I propose that we create a file containing the list of patterns to exclude from pgindent runs. It would look like this:

   #list of file patterns to exclude from pg_indent runs
   /s_lock\.h$
   /ecpg/test/expected/
   /snowball/libstemmer/
   /ecpg/include/(sqlda|sqltypes)\.h$
   /ecpg/include/preproc/struct\.h$
   /pl/plperl/ppport\.h$

Then a pgindent run would look like this:

   find . -name '*.[ch]' -type f -print | \
   egrep -v -f src/tools/pgindent/exclude_files | \
   xargs -n100 pgindent src/tools/pgindent/typedefs.list
which is shorter and more efficient and less error prone than the way it's done
in the current instructions (which puts the patterns to be excluded in a series
of egrep pipes).

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew