Greg Stark wrote:
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
One reason I believe this isn't so critical as all that is that it only
matters for cases where the operation on the master took an exclusive
lock.

Uhm, or a vacuum ran. Or a HOT page cleanup occurred, or a btree page
split deleted old tuples.

Right; because there are so many regularly expected causes for query cancellation, the proposed boolean setup really hurts the ability of a server whose primary goal is high-availability to run queries of any useful duration. For years I've been hearing "my HA standby is idle, how can I put it to use?"; that's the back story of the users I thought everyone knew were the known audience waiting for this feature.

If the UI for vacuum_defer_cleanup_age that prevented these things was good, I would agree that the cases where max_standby_delay does something useful are marginal. That's why I tried to get someone working on SR to provide a hook for that purpose months ago. But since the vacuum adjustment we have in completely obtuse xid units, that leaves max_standby_delay as the only tunable here that you can even think about in terms of human time.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us