Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I suppose that at least some of the *BSD herd really do predefine some
> of the symbols being attributed to them here, but I would like to see
> something authoritative about which and what.

Documentation follows, but first the summary:

FreeBSD: __FreeBSD__
NetBSD:  __NetBSD__
OpenBSD: __OpenBSD__

I believe those #defines also tell you what the release is.
I didn't look into their encoding schemes just now, but can if
you want.

(OS X aka Darwin is harder: they seem to like __APPLE__, but
to determine the OS version the best I can see is
__ENVIRONMENT_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED__, which is quite
horrid.)

Re BSDi, I have no idea really but based on Google searching
I'd bet on __bsdi__.

Per Wikipedia BSDi was discontinued in 2003 and support ended
in 2004.  I submit that anyone still using it is not likely to
be updating their PostgreSQL installation, so +1 from me for
dropping support for it unless a volunteer using it comes
forward.

FYI (and you may know this, but I didn't learn until recently)
GCC will tell you quite easily what #defines are predefined,
and all those platforms use gcc:

  $ cc -E -dM - < /dev/null | grep FreeBSD
  #define __FreeBSD_cc_version 700003
  #define __VERSION__ "4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD]"
  #define __FreeBSD__ 7

But you wanted something authoritative, so here's what I found:

FreeBSD
=======

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/porting-versions.html

  "__FreeBSD__ is defined in all versions of FreeBSD."

NetBSD
======

>From the NetBSD-1.1 release notes (November, 1995):

  "* implement new cpp predefine strategy
     define __NetBSD__, ..."

This is still the current behaviour, although the current
release is 5.0.2 from February 2010.

OpenBSD
=======

  http://www.openbsd.org/porting.html

  "Generic Porting Hints

    * __OpenBSD__ should be used sparingly, if at all. Constructs that
      look like

            #if defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__FreeBSD__)

      are often inappropriate. Don't add blindly __OpenBSD__ to
      it. Instead, try to figure out what's going on, and what actual
      feature is needed."

Regards,

Giles