While preparing a replication test setup with 9.0beta1 I noticed strange page allocation patterns which Andrew Gierth found interesting enough to report here.

I've written a simple tool to generate traffic on a database [1], which did about 30 TX/inserts per second to a table. Upon inspecting the data in the table, I noticed the expected grouping of tuples which came from a single backend to matching pages [2]. The strange part was that the pages weren't completely filled but the backends seemed to jump arbitrarily from one page to the next [3]. For the table in question this resulted in about 10% wasted space.

After issuing a VACUUM on the table the free space map got updated (or initialized?) and the backends used the remaining space in the pages, though the spurious page allocation continued.

best regards,
Michael

[1] https://workbench.amd.co.at/hg/pgworkshop/file/dc5ab49c99bb/pgexerciser

[2] E.g.:

(0,1) TX1
(0,2) TX5
(0,3) TX7
..
(1,1) TX2
(1,2) TX6
(1,3) TX9

etc.

[3] http://nopaste.narf.at/show/55/
Optimal usage seems to be 136 tuples per page for the table in question.