On 24/05/10 19:51, Kevin Grittner wrote:
The only thing I'm confused about is what benefit anyone expects to
get from looking at data between commits in some way other than our
current snapshot mechanism.  Can someone explain a use case where
what Jan is proposing is better than snapshot isolation?  It doesn't
provide any additional integrity guarantees that I can see.

Right, it doesn't. What it provides is a way to reconstruct a snapshot at any point in time, after the fact. For example, after transactions A, C, D and B have committed in that order, it allows you to reconstruct a snapshot just like you would've gotten immediately after the commit of A, C, D and B respectively. That's useful replication tools like Slony that needs to commit the changes of those transactions in the slave in the same order as they were committed in the master.

I don't know enough of Slony et al. to understand why that'd be better than the current heartbeat mechanism they use, taking a snapshot every few seconds, batching commits.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas