On 05/24/2010 07:43 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
On 05/19/2010 05:16 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Andres Freund wrote:
On Wednesday 19 May 2010 22:39:32 Bruce Momjian wrote:
There are some limitations when migrating from 8.3 to 8.4, but not when
migrating from 8.3 to 9.0, because we added a feature to 9.0.  Can you
give a specific example?
Didnt the 'name' alignment change?

Uh, the heading above that item is:

   <title>Limitations in migrating<emphasis>from</>  PostgreSQL
   8.3</title>

What is unclear there?  It covers going to 8.4 and 9.0.

well the wording makes it kinda unclear on what happens if you go FROM
8.4 to 9.0. If there are no known limits we might want to add a small
note saying so. If there are some we might want to restructure the
paragraph a bit...

Sorry for the delay in replying.  The section you list is titled:

        F.31.4. Limitations in migrating from PostgreSQL 8.3

        http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/pgupgrade.html

and the first sentence is:

    pg_upgrade will not work for a migration from 8.3 if a user column

I have updated the paragraph to be:

    Upgrading from PostgreSQL 8.3 has additional restrictions not present
    when upgrading from later PostgreSQL releases.  For example,
    pg_upgrade will not work for a migration from 8.3 if a user column
    is defined as:

Can you suggest other wording?

hmm that seems better thanks, however I just noticed that we don't have a "general limitations" section. The way the docs are now done suggests that there are not limitations at all (except for the two warnings in the migration guide). Is pg_upgrade really up to the point where it can fully replace pg_dump & pg_restore independent of the loaded (contrib) or even third party modules(like postgis or custom datatypes etc)?

Stefan