On 2010-05-31 20:38, Tom Lane wrote:
Jesper Krogh<jes...@krogh.cc>  writes:
Just a small follow up. I tried out the patch (or actually a fresh git
checkout) and it now gives very accurate results for both upper and
lower end of the MCE-histogram with a lower cutoff that doesn't
approach 2.
Good.  How much did the ANALYZE time change for your table?
1.3m documents.

New code ( 3 runs):
statistics target 1000 => 155s/124s/110s
statictics target 100 => 86s/55s/61s
Old code:
statistics target 1000 => 158s/101s/99s
statistics target 100 => 90s/29s/33s

Somehow I think that the first run is the relevant one, its pretty much a "dead disk" test, and I wouldn't expect that random sampling of tuples would have any sane caching effect in a production system. But it looks like the algoritm is "a bit" slower.

Thanks again..

Jesper

--
Jesper