On 03/06/10 15:15, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Simon Riggs wrote:
I think its much easier to find out your free disk space than it is to
calculate how much WAL might be generated during backup. Disk space
doesn't vary significantly on a production database.

If we encourage that laziness then we will get reports that replication
doesn't work and Postgres crashes.

Well, we don't clean out the archive directory so I don't see this as
anything new.

We leave that up to the DBA to clean out one way or another. We provide restartpoint_command and the %r option in restore_command to help with that.

Surely we don't expect DBAs to delete old files in pg_xlog? I agree with Simon here, I think it would be better to not provide -1 as an option here. At least you better document well that you should only do that temporarily or you will eventually run out of disk space.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas