I wrote:
> I realized this while thinking about Jeff Amiel's report here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-06/msg00351.php
> I can't prove that this is what's causing his crashes, but it could
> produce the symptom he's reporting.

Actually, no it can't: the case I'm envisioning should lead to throwing
this error:

    elog(ERROR, "failed to delete rightmost child %u of block %u in index
\"%s\"",
         target, parent, RelationGetRelationName(rel));

a bit further up.  That's annoying enough, but it's not a PANIC.

A search of the archives produces no evidence that anyone has ever
reported the "failed to delete rightmost child" error from the field.
So while I still think this is a bug that needs to be fixed, it may
be lower priority than I thought initially.