On 15/06/10 08:23, Fujii Masao wrote:
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Tom Lane<t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble, or even a particularly smart
idea, to force the output of the status function to be monotonic
regardless of what happens underneath.  I think removing that claim
from the docs altogether is the easiest answer.

We should

(1) just remove "While streaming replication is in progress this will
     increase monotonically." from the description about
pg_last_xlog_receive_location()?

or

(2) add "But if streaming replication is restarted this will back off
     to the beginning of current WAL file" into there?

I'm for (2) since it's more informative. Thought?

Something like (2) seems better, because even if we remove the note that it increases monotonically, people might still assume that.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas