On Jun 17, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Florian Pflug wrote:

> How about turning it into a function
>    hstore hstore(hstore, text[])
> instead?

I just searched through the 2008 spec for a slice/subset operator and came up
empty. It seems to define a bunch of predicates for multisets, but not much for
arrays.

And looking again at the options, I'm *okay* with %, but not keen on %> anymore
(I could see a future where %> and <% it as complement @> and <@ by confirming
the presence of keys in an hstore:

    bool = hstore %> text[];

So, frankly, I'm coming back to what Florian has suggested here. What about
calling it slice?

    hstore = slice(hstore, text[]);

It'd be nice to have one for arrays, too:

    anyarray[] = slice(anyarray[], int[]);

An operator could always be added later if a good one appeared.

Okay, no more bikeshedding for me on this issue. I'm covered in paint.

Best,

David