Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvhe...@commandprompt.com> wrote:

I'm intending to work on logical column identifiers for 9.1.  Perhaps I
could try to have a look at this, too, while at it.

I have a strong suspicion that's going to be a, ahem, challenging
project.  But it would be great to have.  Getting rid of the system
column entries from pg_attribute is probably easy by comparison.

It will be a bit invasive, but I'm not so sure that it's difficult, just a mass of details to take care of. Like you I'd be very glad to see it done.

When we discussed this previously, Tom suggested that we might want to
have a three-tiered structure: (1) permanent identifier (never
changes, used by other system catalogs to reference the attribute in
question), (2) display position, and (3) physical storage position.
I'm not sure if it's feasible to think about splitting out (2) and (3)
in a single patch, but either one would be useful by itself.  Which
are you planning to work on?

Why wouldn't it be feasible? In any case, having a mutable logical column position is the feature that's been most requested.

cheers

andrew