On 7/12/10 9:34 PM +0300, Tom Lane wrote:
Marko Tiikkaja<marko.tiikk...@cs.helsinki.fi>  writes:
... So what I'm now thinking of is making the planner plan that as a single
Query, and make the planner expand it into multiple PlannedStmts if
necessary.  This would break the existing planner hooks, but I don't
think that's a huge problem.  Does anyone see any obvious flaws in this?

How will that interact with the existing rewriter?  It sounds a lot
like a recipe for duplicating functionality ...

I was thinking that the rewriter would look at the top-level CTEs and rewrite all non-SELECT queries into a list of Queries and store that list into the CommonTableExprs. The planner would then use this information and also expand the rewrite products.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja