On 16/07/10 20:11, Rob Wultsch wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com>  wrote:
For committers.

Perhaps this discussions should be moved to the General list in order
to poll the userbase.

My .02 is that SHOW commands (even if they are not compatible) would
make it much easier for me to make an argument to my boss to at least
consider moving off another open source database. The show commands
are in *very* widespread use by the MySQL community even after ~5
years of having the i_s. The Drizzle team (a radical fork of MySQL)
very briefly considered removing the SHOW commands and the unanimous
objections that followed caused that idea to scrapped.

That's for MySQL. I come from a DB2 background, and when I started using psql years ago, I often typed "LIST TABLES" without thinking much about it. Not SHOW TABLES, but LIST TABLES.

I bet Oracle users coming to PostgreSQL will try "DESC". Not SHOW TABLES. As Simon listed, every DBMS out there has a different syntax for this.

I have nothing against SHOW TABLES (it might cause conflicts in grammar though), but if we're going to cater to people migrating from MySQL, I feel we should cater to people migrating from other products too. But surely we're not going to implement 10 different syntaxes for the same thing! We could, however, give a hint in the syntax error in all those cases. That way we're not on the hook to maintain them forever, and we will be doing people a favor by introducing them to the backslash commands or information schema, which are more powerful.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas