On 10/08/10 12:38, Boxuan Zhai wrote:
The difficult way is to generate the plans for children table in planner, as
the other commands like UPDATE and DELETE. However, because the structure of
MERGE plan is much more complex than the ordinary ModifyTable plans, this
job may not as simple as we expected. We need to adjust both the main plan
and the
merge actions to fit the children tables, which is not straight forward.

This the approach you'll have to take. But actually, I'm surprised it doesn't happen to just work already. It should be opaque to the merge facility that the reference to the parent target table has inherited child tables - expanding the inherited table to scans of all the children should already be handled by the planner.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas