Robert Haas wrote:
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
I knew there would be a lot of critters crawling out as soon as we
turned over this rock.  Which other data-formats-of-the-week shall
we immortalize as core PG types?

PER-encoded ASN.1, for when you really need something human-readable?  :-)

I like to prioritize with "hits on Google" as a proxy for popularity:

XML:  341M
CSV:  132M
JSON:  96M
YAML:  6M
ASN.1:  1.1M
BSON:  130K
"Protocol Buffers":  86K
OGDL:  45K

I think there's a strong case to add JSON, as it may very well be the most popular data->text serialization format out there not yet supported. It's certainly beyond a format of the week at this point.

"XML is like violence: if it doesn't solve your problem, you aren't using enough of it." - Chris Maden

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us