On 20/08/10 17:01, Robert Haas wrote:
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
On 20/08/10 16:30, Robert Haas wrote:

I really like the idea of trying to use network-based storage in some
way.  Gigabit Ethernet is a big I/O channel.

NFS?

I don't particularly trust NFS to be either reliable or performant for
database use.  Do you?

Depends on the implementation, I guess, but the point is that there's a bazillion network-based filesystems with different tradeoffs out there already. It seems unlikely that you could outperform them with something built into PostgreSQL.

To put it other way, if you built network-based storage into PostgreSQL, what PostgreSQL-specific knowledge could you take advanage of to make it more performant/reliable? If there isn't any, I don't see the point.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas