On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Itagaki Takahiro
<itagaki.takah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * How to determine which method was used?
>  We can get some information from trace_sort logs,
>  but CLUSTER VERBOSE would be better to log
>  which CLUSTER method was used.

I wrote a patch to improve CLUSTER VERBOSE (and VACUUM FULL VERBOSE).
The patch should be applied after sorted_cluster-20100721.patch .

* clustering "schema.table" by index scan on "index"
* clustering "schema.table" by sequential scan and sort

It also adds VACUUM VERBOSE-like logs:
INFO:  "table": found 1 removable, 100001 nonremovable row versions in
1655 pages
DETAIL:  1 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
CPU 0.03s/0.06u sec elapsed 0.21 sec.

Note that the patch says nothing about reindexing. But if
required, I'm willing to add some VERBOSE messages for
indexes (ex. REINDEX VERBOSE)

--
Itagaki Takahiro