On 03/09/10 19:09, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
IOW, what I'd like to see is protocol extensions that allow an external
copy of rsync to be invoked; not build in rsync, or tar, or anything
else that we could get off-the-shelf.

I'd much rather use an existing library to implement it than call out to
some external utility.  That said, I'm about as thrilled with libtar as
librsync after a bit of googling around. :/

The code to build a tar archive is about 200 lines of code. The amount of code for untar is about the same. That's about the amount of effort We could add zlib compression since we already link with that, but that's about it. I'm not interested in adding more infrastructure for more tools. For more complicated scenarios, you can still use pg_start/stop_backup() as usual, there's nothing wrong with that.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas