On 09/21/2010 11:20 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 21/09/10 18:02, Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut<pete...@gmx.net>  writes:
On tis, 2010-09-21 at 00:00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
3. What are the ignore filesets *for*, in particular should they list
just the derived files expected in a distribution tarball, or all the
files in the set of build products in a normal build?

My personal vote: Forget the whole thing.

The folks who are more familiar with git than I seem to be pretty clear
that we need to ignore all build products.  I don't think that "ignore
nothing" is going to work pleasantly at all.  On reflection I realize
that cvs ignore and git ignore are considerably different because they
come into play at different times: cvs ignore really only matters while
doing "cvs update" to pull in new code, while git ignore matters while
you're constructing a commit.  So you really do need git ignore to
ignore all build products; otherwise you'll have lots of chatter in
"git status".

Agreed. It's not a big deal though, until now I've just always used "git status | less" and scrolled up to the beginning, ignoring the chatter.

FWIW, the buildfarm's git mode does not rely on ignore files any more, unlike what we had for CVS. This came about after I followed up on a suggestion Robert made at pgCon to use "git clean".

cheers

andrew