On 04.10.2010 15:21, Craig Ringer wrote:
Thinking about it, a possibly better alternative is to ship it as a
library as is done with the pl/pgsql debugger, and use (I think)
shared_preload_libraries to load it when desired. That way there's zero
cost if disabled, though a somewhat higher cost if enabled.

Hmm. That'll let me put a test version together that'll work with 9.0 as
well, so that seems like a no-brainer really, it's just a better way to
do it. Time for a Pg-on-windows build, yay.

If it's not a lot of code, it's better to have it built-in always.

Good point. The built-in approach would also permit it to be turned on in an already-running server, which would be nice as for those fun only-shows-up-in-production bugs where you may not want to restart Pg.

I'll chuck together a library version first, though, so it can be tested easily on existing installs of Pg 9.0. Compiling Pg on Windows isn't as quick and easy as on *nix so that should help for testing/consideration. If people are happy with the results I'll put together a patch to integrate it directly instead of using a library.

--
Craig Ringer