On 10/06/2010 09:49 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
That appears to me to be a broken (non RFC compliant) VM setup.
However, maybe what this is telling us is we need to expose the setting?
Or perhaps better, try 127.0.0.1, ::1, localhost, in that order.
Yeah, I'd be happier if we exposed it, to be honest.  Either that, or
figure out a way to get rid of it entirely by using a different method,
but that's a much bigger issue.

Please don't expose it. It will a source of yet more confusion. People already get confused by the difference between listening addresses and pg_hba.conf addresses. It's one of the most frequent points of confusion seen on IRC. Adding another address to configure will just compound the confusion badly. I much prefer Tom's last suggestion.

cheers

andrew