On 10/14/2010 01:10 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Josh Berkus<j...@agliodbs.com>  wrote:
Sure. I just lose comments. I'll live with that.
Actually, as part of this scheme, it would be nice if pg_settings had a
"comment" column, which would be optionally set with SET PERMANENT.  Not
required, but nice to have.

If we had that, I suspect that a lot fewer people would want a hand-edited
file.
I have to say that I'm woefully unimpressed by the idea of trying to
do anything with comments other than ignore them, even something this
simple.  There's no obvious way to know which comments go with which
settings.   You can make up a rule, such as "on the same line", but
it's not necessarily going to be what people want.  I think it's
better to sidestep the issue entirely.

If the file is completely machine-maintained, including the comments, it seems eminently doable. It's only if the file gets mangled by humans that there's a problem.

cheers

andrew