2nd) I can get the data to stick around after restart. Though not reliably. In
general:

create and fill a table, vacuum it (not sure if its important, I do it because
thats what I'd done in my pgbench testing where I noticed the data stuck
around), wait an hour (I usually left it for 12-24 hours, but recreated it with
as little as a half hour), then restart pg. Sometimes the data is there...
sometimes not.

I also filled my table with more data than memory would hold so it would spill
to disk, again, because it recreates my pgbench setup.

I'm still working on finding the exact steps, but I wanted to get you #1 above.

-Andy

Ok, forget the time thing.  Has nothing to do with it.  (Which everyone already
assumed I imagine).

Its truncate.

Create unloged table, fill it, truncate it, fill it again, restart pg, and the
data will still be there.

-Andy