Hi

I've just ran into a problem while upgrading from 8.4 to 9.0.

pg_upgrade aborted during the step "Adding support functions to new cluster"
with "ERROR:  permission denied for language c" error. Unfortunately, the log
didn't include the name of the database where the error occurred, so it took me
a while to figure out that the culprit was a "ALTER DATABASE SET ROLE =
<non-superuser>" I had done on one of my databases, which effectively prevented
pg_upgrade from connection with superuser privileges.

While one could argue that this behaviour is perfectly consistent, I believe
most users will expect pg_upgrade (and to a lesser extent also pg_dump and
pg_restore) to be unaffected by such settings.

Should we provide a way (for super-users only, of course) to skip
per-database/per-role settings when connecting?

best regards
Florian Pflug