On 12/13/2010 01:31 AM, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 05:30, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  wrote:
On 12/04/2010 11:11 PM, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
One exports the copy functions from the core, and another
implements file_fdw using the infrastructure.
Who is actually going to do this split?
I'm working for it :-)  I extract those functions from copy.c:

- CopyState BeginCopyFrom(Relation rel, const char *filename,
                           List *attnamelist, List *options);
- void EndCopyFrom(CopyState cstate);
- bool NextCopyFrom(CopyState cstate,
                     Datum *values, bool *nulls, Oid *oid);

There was Reset() in file_fdw, but it is not contained in the
patch. It will be added again if required, but I wonder we might
need not only reset but also mark/restore a position in a file.

Hmm. I don't think that's going to expose enough for what I want to be able to do. I actually had in mind exposing lower level routines like CopyReadAttibutesCSV/CopyReadAttributesText and allowing the Foreign Data Wrapper to manipulate the raw values read (for example from an irregularly shaped CSV file).

cheers

andrew