On 12/14/2010 12:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
This seems quite odd now that I look at it.  The packet contents imply
that libpq saw PGOPTIONS="-c log_min_messages=warning" and no other
environment variables that would cause it to append stuff to the
connection request.  Which is not at all how pg_regress ought to behave,
even assuming that the buildfarm script sets up PGOPTIONS that way.
I'd expect to see settings for timezone, datestyle, and intervalstyle
in there.  What was the client here exactly?

Maybe I didn't explain this properly. The trace was not from pg_regress. It was from a connection from a standard Linux psql client.

Another line of attack is that we know from the response packet that the
failure is being reported at guc.c:4794.  It would be really useful to
know what the call stack is there.  Could you change that elog to an
elog(PANIC) and get a stack trace from the ensuing core dump?

I can try that. Not sure how easy that is on Windows.

cheers

andrew