On 16.12.2010 19:58, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
One more thing: the motivation behind this patch is to allow parallel
pg_dump in the future, so we should be make sure this patch caters well for
that.

As soon as we have parallel pg_dump, the next big thing is going to be
parallel dump of the same table using multiple processes. Perhaps we should
prepare for that in the directory archive format, by allowing the data of a
single table to be split into multiple files. That way parallel pg_dump is
simple, you just split the table in chunks of roughly the same size, say
10GB each, and launch a process for each chunk, writing to a separate file.

It should be a quite simple add-on to the current patch, but will make life
so much easier for parallel pg_dump. It would also be helpful to work around
file size limitations on some filesystems.

Sounds reasonable.  Are you planning to do this and commit?

I'll defer to Joachim, assuming he has the time & energy.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas