On 22/12/10 13:05, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
On 22/12/10 11:42, Merlin Moncure wrote:
Attached is an incomplete patch disabling hint bits based on compile
switch.  It's not complete, for example it's not reconciling some
assumptions in heapam.c that hint bits have been set in various
routines.  However, it mostly passes regression and I deemed it good
enough to run some preliminary benchmarks and fool around.  Obviously,
hint bits are an annoying impediment to a couple of other cool pending
features, and it certainly would be nice to operate without them.
Also, for particular workloads, the extra i/o hint bits can cause a
fair amount of pain.

Looks like a great idea to test, however I don't seem to be able to compile with it applied: (set#define DISABLE_HINT_BITS 1 at the end of src/include/pg_config_manual.h)

gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -g -I../../../../src/include -D_GNU_SOURCE -c -o heapam.o heapam.c
heapam.c: In function ‘HeapTupleHeaderAdvanceLatestRemovedXid’:
heapam.c:3867: error: ‘HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
heapam.c:3867: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
heapam.c:3867: error: for each function it appears in.)
heapam.c:3869: error: ‘HEAP_XMIN_INVALID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[4]: *** [heapam.o] Error 1

Arrg, sorry - against git head on Ubuntu 10.03 (gcc 4.4.3)