On 12/21/2010 02:33 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 22:25 +0900, Shigeru HANADA wrote:

Attached are revised version of SQL/MED core functionality patches.
Looks very interesting new feature, well done.

Can I ask some questions about how this will work?
No particular order, just numbered for reference.

Answering a few of your questions as I understand the position, faute de mieux.
1. The docs don't actually say what a foreign table is. Is it a local
representation of foreign data? Or a local copy of foreign data? Or is
it a table created on a remote node?

It's an interface to data not managed by Postgres (or at least by this node). It might be a table on another Postgres node, it might be a file, it might be a table in another RDBMS, it might be a stream of some sort. I could imagine creating one over a SOAP call, or for an RSS feed. Someone has created one for a twitter feed, I believe. An LDAP FDW might also be useful (think: single sign on).

2. Will CREATE FOREIGN TABLE require a transactionid? It seems a good
replacement for temp tables on Hot Standby to be able to run a CREATE
FOREIGN TABLE using the file_fdw, then reuse the file again later.

How could it not require a txnid? It's going to write the definition to the catalog, isn't it?

3. Do we support CREATE TEMP FOREIGN TABLE? It seems desirable to be
able to move data around temporarily, as we do with normal tables.

That would definitely be a good thing to have.

7. Why does ANALYZE skip foreign tables? Surely its really important we
know things about a foreign table, otherwise we are going to optimize
things very badly.

Quite apart from other reasons, such as possible ephemerality of the data, the difficulty of taking a reasonable random sample from an arbitrary foreign data source seems substantial, and we surely don't want ANALYSE to have to run a full sequential scan of a foreign data source.

10. Can a foreign table be referenced by a FK?

I don't see how it can be. There would be no unique index to use.

cheers

andrew