On 12/29/2010 07:42 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Dec 29, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Tom Lane<t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
Is it really stable enough for bin/?  My impression of the state of
affairs is that there is nothing whatsoever about replication that
is really stable yet.

Well, that's not stopping us from shipping a core feature called "replication".
 I'll defer to others on how mature pg_streamrecv is, but if it's no worse than
replication in general I think putting it in bin/ is the right thing to do.

well I have not looked at how good pg_streamrecv really is but we desperately need to fix the basic usability issues in our current replication implementation and pg_streamrecv seems to be a useful tool to help with some. From all the people I talked to with SR they where surprised how complex and fragile the initial setup procedure is - it is the lack of providing a simple and reliable tool to do a base backup over libpq and also a simple way to have that tool tell the master "keep the wal segments I need for starting the standby". I do realize we need to keep the ability to do the basebackup out-of-line but for 99% of the users it is tool complex, scary and failure proof (I know nobody who got the procedure right the first time - which is a strong hint that we need to work on that).

Stefan