On 30.12.2010 22:27, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Simon Riggs<si...@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
synchronous_replication (boolean)
        Specifies whether transaction commit will wait for WAL records
        to be replicated before the command returns a "success"
        indication to the client.
The word "replicated" here could be taken to mean different things,
most obviously:

- slave has received the WAL
- slave has fsync'd the WAL
- slave has applied the WAL
Perhaps the level of "replication guarantee" should be decided on the slave side, by
having a configuration parameter there

report_as_replicated = received|written_to_disk|fsynced|applied

for different types of hosts may have wildly different guarantees and performance parameters for these. One could envision a WAL-archive type "standby" which is
there for data persistence only will and never "apply" WAL.

of couse we could put a bitmap in the status update messages from slave and have some quorum on options on master for when the data is "in sync", say "need 5 received or (1 applied and 1 fsynced)", but I am pretty sure that trying to get anywhere with this before applying the basic sync rep patch would push back sync rep to at least 9.2 if not 9.5