On 31.12.2010 23:18, Hannu Krosing wrote:
On 31.12.2010 13:40, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
That thread makes no mention of how to specify which standbys are
synchronous and which are not.
The simplest way would be to have separate database users for sync and
async standbys ?

That would allow any standby with right credentials act as a sync user,
and those who are not eligible are not accepted even if they try to act
as "a synchronity (?) provider".

Hmm, access control... We haven't yet discussed what privileges a standby needs to become synchronous. Perhaps it needs to be a separate privilege that can be granted, in addition to the replication privilege?

Robert's suggestion of using the roles instead of server names would also solve that. With that you would list the roles in synchronous_standbys, and no-one else could become a synchronous standby. The downside is that if you want to have two standbys in the mode that it's enough that either one acknowledges a commit, they would have to use the same user account.

If we don't adopt Robert's suggestion, do we want to restrict what standby name a user can claim, to stop one standby from spoofing another?

--
  Heikki Linnakangas