On 03.01.2011 18:29, Simon Riggs wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 18:08 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

It works in read committed mode, because you acquire a new snapshot
after the LOCK TABLE, and anyone else who modified the table must commit
before the lock is granted. In serializable mode you get a serialization
error.

If its not safe without this

LOCK TABLE ... IN SHARE ROW EXCLUSIVE MODE

then we should do that automatically, and document that.

No we should not. The SQL standard doesn't require that, and it would unnecessarily restrict concurrent updates on unrelated rows in the table.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas