Kevin Grittner wrote:
Greg Smith  wrote:
I could see shipping this with the automatic heavy LOCK TABLE in
there.
How would you handle or document behavior in REPEATABLE READ
isolation?  The lock doesn't do much good unless you acquire it
before you get your snapshot, right?

Hand-wave and hope you offer a suggested implementation? I haven't gotten to thinking about this part just yet--am still assimilating toward a next move after the pleasant surprise that this is actually working to some degree now. You're right that turning the high-level idea of "just lock the table" actually has to be mapped into exact snapshot mechanics and pitfalls before moving in that direction will get very far. I'm probably not the right person to answer just exactly how feasibile that is this week though.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support        www.2ndQuadrant.us