On 01/11/2011 06:07 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

To maintain
compatibility with existing pl/perl code a new variable,
plperl.convert_array_arguments (better name?), is introduced. Its default
value is false, when set to true it triggers the new behavior, i.e.
Have you considered instead passing an array-based object with is string
overloading designed to return the pg array string format? That would make for
nice, transparent compatibility without the need for a GUC.

Not my idea, BTW, but suggested by Tim Bunce.

I think there's at least a danger of breaking legacy code doing that. Say you have some code that does a ref test on the argument, for example. The behavior would now be changed.

cheers

andrew