On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 14:26 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:

> > 2 sub-command changes:
> >
> > ALTER TABLE foo ADD FOREIGN KEY fkoo ... NOT VALID;
> >
> > ALTER TABLE foo VALIDATE CONSTRAINT fkoo;
>
> Sorry for the late reply; I just saw this...
>
> Is there any way to be able to get the bad records out of the ALTER ...
> VALIDATE? I know it's pretty unusual, but for a set of large tables, it could
> take hours to run a separate query that gives you the results.
>
> BTW, I agree that this should be a DDL command, it would be very odd if it
> wasn't. But I also see it being very useful to be able to get the set of bad
> rows at the same time. Maybe if there was an SRF that did the real work and
> the ALTER just ignored the resultset?

I agree. Unfortunately that wasn't the consensus when I proposed that
earlier, so its just a simple validation true/false.

I could add an SRF that ran the validation query but brought back the
rows, but if zero then it sets valid. We could have both...

--
 Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/