On 01/31/2011 12:17 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:14, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  wrote:
Following recent discussions and the enabling of 64 bit Mingw builds, I
propose to make the attached changes to the docs. I don't see any great
reason for us to advise against building with Mingw, especially now that we
have 64 bit support for it, so I removed that, amd also clarified where
Cygwin is useful and where it's not, as well as adding some detail about how
to make 64 bit builds.
Agreed, and looks good to me.

Do you know if cygwin psql works in non-US locales these days? It used
to be that it didn't, and if we recommend it we should probably
include a notice if it doesn't.

I just tested by setting my machine to fr_FR, and also setting LANG=fr_FR.utf8 under Cygwin. The build failed. The I set Cygwin back to LANG=C.utf8 and the build/install succeeded. After that, I switched back to LANG=fr_FR.utf8, and initdb, pg_ctl start and psql all behaved as expected. I'm adding a note accordingly.

Some day I'll try to work out why the build went boom, but now I need to move on to other things.

cheers

andrew