On 02/03/2011 10:43 PM, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:

Also, a FDW allows the COPY to be used as a FROM target, giving it great
flexibility. AFAICT this does not.
BTW, which do you want to improve, FDW or COPY FROM?  If FDW, the better
API would be "raw" version of NextCopyFrom(). For example:
   bool NextRawFields(CopyState cstate, char **fields, int *nfields)
The caller FDW has responsibility to form tuples from the raw fields.
If you need to customize how to form the tuples from various fields,
the FDW also need to have such extensibility.

If COPY FROM, we should implement all the features in copy.c
rather than exported APIs.

The problem with COPY FROM is that nobody's come up with a good syntax for allowing it as a FROM target. Doing what I want via FDW neatly gets us around that problem. But I'm quite OK with doing the hard work inside the COPY code - that's what my working prototype does in fact.

One thing I'd like is to to have file_fdw do something we can't do another way. currently it doesn't, so it's nice but uninteresting.

cheers

andrew