On 02/13/2011 08:26 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
This would be called a 'header' in most typical CSV scenarios.
Unfortunately, last I checked (maybe it's changed?), COPY w/ HEADER just
throws the header away instead of doing anything useful with it.  If it
actually used the header to build the column list, then adding a header
would be sufficient, provided all the necessary fields are in the table.

See the discussion back around the the 8.1 release (IIRC) when we added the HEADER option.

If I wanted something to throw away the first record of a file before

The whole point of us having direct CSV import is to minimise the requirement for preprocessing.

That said, I think there's probably a good case for an option to use the header line as a column list. I know of at least one application I have written that could benefit from it. But that's work for 9.2 or later.

cheers

andrew