On 02/17/2011 12:34 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 02/17/2011 12:13 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
FWIW, the only interactively usable version of psql for windows I know
of is the one that runs under Cygwin. It can be build with readline and
works as expected.
Uh, don't we have a psql built via MSVC?  Doesn't it work interactively?

Not if you want readline. And in my book that's a requirement of a psql
that's usable interactively. It's pretty horrible to use without it.
Well, as horrible as other Windows apps.  I will leave others to decide
if that is usable.  ;-)  I am unclear if we would ship readline support
on Windows even if we didn't have a license issue (no OS readline
version on Windows).

Windows developers almost universally work from GUIs and not using console apps (and that's true of many Unix developers also, particularly those who can't recall a time when X-Windows wasn't almost universally available). Microsoft has de-emphasized console apps for 15 years. So the only people who are likely to be interested in using an enhanced psql on Windows are old Unix-heads like you and me. It's not worth a lot of effort, IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew