On 03/07/2011 10:28 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
I wrote:
I think what is happening here is that make launches concurrent sub-jobs
to do "make install" in each of interfaces/libpq and interfaces/ecpg,
and the latter launches a sub-sub-job to do "make all" in
interfaces/libpq, and make has no idea that these are duplicate sub-jobs
so it actually tries to run both concurrently.  Whereupon you get all
sorts of fun failures.  I'm not sure if there is any cure that's not
worse than the disease.
BTW, how many people here have read "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"?

http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

Because what we're presently doing looks mighty similar to what he's
saying doesn't work and can't be made to work.

Oh, yes, I read it a long time ago, before I started doing Postgres work. I recall vaguely thinking about it when I began with Postgres, but I thought people smarter than me had probably worked out the problems :-) (Working with people smarter than me is one of the things I like about Postgres work.)

cheers

andrew