On 3/30/2011 9:49 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Stephen Frost<sfr...@snowman.net>  wrote:
 * Robert Haas (robertmh...@gmail.com) wrote:
 I do think we need some kind way of capturing DDL events, though. I wonder if
the object-access-hook stuff KaiGai and I did to support SE-PostgreSQL could be
extended to meet this need...

 My inclination would be 'probably', but it's not likely to really be the
 way we'd want to provide generalized DDL triggers..

I guess I was imagining that DDL triggers would be primarily important
for things like Slony, that are already writing C code anyway, but
maybe that's overly optimistic...

Slony is using C code in every performance critical path. Other than that, we are perfectly happy with PL/pgSQL code.

What I would envision for DDL triggers is that they first don't fire on an object type, but rather on a command completion code, like "CREATE TABLE" or "DROP SCHEMA".

To do anything useful with that of course would require that all DDL does go through tcop's ProcessUtility and actually synthesizes a proper Utility parsetree. That isn't the case today, so there would be some previous clean up work to be done.

Jan