On 03/31/2011 10:51 AM, Brendan Jurd wrote:

I agree with your summary of the ISO standards.  Unfortunately,
to_date and its cohorts are not targeting ISO.  They are targeting
quasi-compatibility with some Oracle functions of the same name, I
suppose to make life easier for folks who are migrating from Oracle to
Postgres.  Any proposed reform of these (admittedly weird and kludgy)
functions is viewed through that lens, and usually rejected on those
grounds.  I've been down that road before.  There's not much point
having compatibility functions if they aren't, well, compatible.

In the big picture, to_date isn't meant to be the general entry point
for parsing dates.  If you wanted to make ISO8601 work as a syntax for
inputting date type literals vis. SELECT date '2011-W14-01', you might
have a better shot at getting that off the ground.

Well, to return to the original issue, should we allow the day to be spelled out and fix it (as noted in this thread it is non-standard but also unambiguous and we already allow plenty of non-standard formats) or throw an error? For me personally, either would be fine. What isn't correct is the current behavior:

select to_date('2011-13-SUN', 'IYYY-IW-DY');
  to_date