Kevin Grittner wrote:
I don't think Vlad is being unreasonable here; he's provided a
test case demonstrating the behavior he'd like to see, and shown
it doesn't work as expected.
... on a toy table with contrived values. How different is this
from the often-asked question about why a query against a four-line
table is not using the index they expect, and how can we expect it
to scale if it doesn't?

It's not, but in that case I've been known to show someone that the behavior they're seeing doesn't happen on a larger table. My point was just that no one has really done that here yet: provided an example showing SSI serialization working as a substitute for predicate locking in this sort of use case. I trust that the theory is sound here, and yet I'd still like to see that demonstrated. This is why I launched into making a less trivial test case.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD